In this post, Martha and Danny Borrell talk about DO3’s first year. We’ve come so far in such a short time! We couldn’t have done it without the support of our friends, family, and community.
1. Looking back over the last year what were your favorite or most rewarding
Dream Kid Zasheed takes in his Dream
Photo Cred- Themba Imagery
Danny– By far my most rewarding moment was being there for the Zebulon and Zasheed Dream Experience. It is hard to pick just one point in time, but I would have to say it was when Zasheed stepped foot onto the field at Yankee Stadium. To see his face as he turned and looked up into the upper deck and around the stadium was priceless. We witnessed a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience. His face will be forever etched into my mind.
– The sincere joy on the faces of each Dream Kid. The happiness they exuded and graciousness for being selected and experiencing their sports dream. Specifically, Zasheed’s ‘Thank You’ on the video from the Yankee experience.
He was so genuine with those two words!
2. What surprised you the most along the way?
– While we did face some obstacles during the preparation phase of each dream experience, it was amazing how each experience pieced itself together seamlessly. Whether it was Joe Cox at Elegant Transportation
selflessly donating the entire 2 day limo service or our flights being upgraded to 1st class, it seemed as if there was divine intervention that helped us make sure that each experience was worthy of the child’s wish.
Martha– The toughest / most frustrating thing is that because I live out of state I have not been able to attend any of the dream experiences.
3. Do you wish anything had gone differently?
Danny- Yes… I feel terrible that Sunny and Donald did not get to go onto the field during batting practice at Yankee Stadium. It was such a great experience for everyone involved but we had to leave 2 behind because of tight security. But, I think that as we get more Dream Experiences under our belt, we are learning how to streamline the process.
4. What is your favorite part of a Dream Experience?
Danny- I love hearing the athlete / team / agent reaction to each child’s wish. These athletes get requests everyday, ranging from autographs to interviews, to anything in between. But when you introduce them to the Dream Kid, it is amazing to see how they interact with each other. Professional athletes sometimes get a bad rap, but put them in front of a child who is in need of some good fortune and roles change: the athlete looks up to the dream recipient, not the other way around.
Martha– Because I have not been able to be at a Dream Experience, I love looking at the pictures and videos that are posted on line.
5. Describe a moment that you were worried something wouldn’t go as planned:
Danny: I worry every dream experience that something won’t go as planned. I try not to, but you want so badly for these kids to enjoy their Dream Experience to the fullest!
6. What are you most excited about for the future of DO3?
Danny: In the future I am most excited about meeting more DO3 kids and granting their sports’ wishes!
Martha: More dreams being fulfilled. Being able to experience first hand, a child’s dream being granted. The growth and expansion of DO3.
-Martha and Danny Borrell, Co-Founders of DO3